25 Dec 2012

Christmas Island (Australia)

We're near Christmas, so it's a good season to show my flag proposal to Christmas Island. Firstly, let's see Christmas Island flag and what needs to be changed:













I'll start saying it's not a horrible flag. Actually, I think that when this flag was made official, in 2002, probably  the flag Tony Couch designed in 1986 (this one) was a good choice. But there's some points I dislike about this flag:
  1. The map should be dropped. It's not necessary, as there's many other symbols that could symbolize properly the island, and it isn't a remarkable shape.
  2. The reason why the map was needed: empty space. Actually, there's empty space everywhere. Personal experiences made me know 1:2 ratio isn't ideal to handle diagonal designs. Papua-New Guinea, for example, uses a 3:4 ratio; I'll use a more conservative one: 3:5.
  3. This bird, the golden bosun (symbol of the island), is turned to the wrong direction: tradition and good-taste tell it should be turned to the hoist. Moreover, I would come with a new design.
Now knowing the necessary steps, I came with this design:















Alternatively, if Christmas Island gain bigger integration with the Commonwealth of Australia, this design may be preferred:













I hope you liked the design. Happy Christmas to everybody!

Your comment is very welcome. Please, comment.
No, I don't stopped my Christmas dinner to post it. This post was previously programmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is greatly welcome!