8 Sept 2012

Liverpool (United Kingdom)

Not many British cities have their own flags. And this week I was verifying this fact, when I decided to create one of them by myself; I chose Liverpool, the third most populous English city, just after London and Birmingham.

I selected two ideal symbols to Liverpool: the Mersey and the Liver bird. The River Mersey is a significant element of Liverpool landmark, and names the region where the city is located: "Merseyside". The liver bird has been a symbol of Liverpool existent for centuries, but only popularly adopted in Modern Times. But what's a Liver bird? Most probably an eagle, possibly a cormorant, sometimes misunderstood as a phoenix or a griffin (read an interesting article about this issue). The polemic is big: the Liverpool City Council  coat of arms uses a cormorant, while the Liverpool Anglican Diocese coat of arms holds an eagle. The Liver bird I used is the most popular form, also seen in Liverpool City Council logo (actually, I used the one in Liverpool FC logo). See it below:













A important point about aforementioned logo is that it's purple, neutral in relation to the colors of biggest football teams of Merseyside: the Liverpool FC red and Everton FC blue. Therefore, purple is the main color in my flag proposal:















The white pale refers to Liverpool position right of River Mersey. The other element of flag, as I said, is the traditional Liver bird.

Do you want to give your opinion about the flag or the post? Leave your comment, please.
Sorry if I didn't post it before, but I had problems uploading the images.

2 comments:

  1. As a fan of Liverpool FC I am interested. I might have ago at my own version of a city flag :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for customized oil change stickers then click customized oil change stickers
    If you are looking for fensens smart license plate frame then click fensens smart license plate frame
    If you are looking for Teardrop Flag Stand then click Teardrop Flag Stand
    If you are looking for Custom Christmas t Shirts then click Custom Christmas t Shirts
    either you are looking for Custom Promotional Tents then click Custom Promotional Tents

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is greatly welcome!